Citrus – Fruittiland – Ghana
Fruittiland is running a fruit juice processing facility in Ghana. The key partners are Dutch companies Verbruggen Juice and Fair Trade Original, which supply fair-trade certified juice to supermarkets in Europe. The shared ambition of the partnership is to strengthen and scale-up the fruit supply chain driven by Fruittiland and its Dutch partnering companies.
• Provide technical assistance to citrus POs to increase farm productivity
• Empower farmers to access markets (including alternate options to Fruittiland)
• Strengthen linkages among value chain actors and supporters
• Upgrade Fruittiland’s factory and provide technical assistance
Involve 4,000 smallholder farmers (1,600 female) and 8 small and medium-sized enterprises (3 female-headed). The target of the lead partner in terms of local sourcing equals 104,000 tons of citrus per annum by 2017.
Fairtrade juice concentrate for the European market (FTO and Oxfam brands). Conventional juice concentrate for the European and West African markets.
• Fair Trade Original (FTO), Verbruggen Juice Trading Sustainable Products b.v. (VJTSP) (Dutch traders)
• Realdeeds (BSS)
• Fairtrade Africa
• Fidelity Bank
Buo Divine James, firstname.lastname@example.org
|Citrus: An additional premium of $200
“By supplying fairtrade markets, farmers now earn an additional premium of $200 per ton of juice concentrates sold to the fairtrade market.” Read more