Soy-Maize – GUTS Agro – Ethiopia
GUTS Agro produces CSB+ (a corn & soy based food supplement fortified with micronutrients, called Super Mom) and other nutritious foods for which maize and soybean are the main ingredients. This partnership aims to enable GUTS Agro to source maize and soybean from SHFs as well as avail affordable animal feed to dairy cooperatives. 2SCALE will also support GUTS Agro to serve the urban BoP.
• Development and launch of the new product CSB+
• Invest in packaging and improvement of the production line.
• Establish cattle feed & soya oil manufacturing plants
• Provide forward delivery agreements for supply of maize and soy to FCUs
• Promote the new product and set up distribution networks
• Facilitate implementation at Woreda and Kebele level and liaison with local government
• Facilitate access to finance to the partners
• On the job training for Guts Agro technical staff (extension)
• Support capacity building of SHFs and negotiation skills
Involve 21,000 smallholder farmers and 34 small and medium enterprises (20 female-headed). The lead partner’s target in terms of volumes equals 7,200MT of maize, and 1,890MTs of soybean over a period of three years.
CSB+ will be distributed to low income consumer groups in Hawasa, Adama and Dire Dawa Ethiopia.
• Sidama Elto, Anger Abeya, and Hunde Chewaka Farmers’ Cooperative Unions
• Bako and Jimma Agricultural Research Institutes
• Hawasa University
• District Agriculture and Cooperative Agency offices
In the video below, Engidu Legesse, General Manager of GUTS Agro, explains how the company distributes its nutritious and affordable products to Base of the Pyramid customers.